Improving Your Communication Skills For Real Estate

homevalueleads | October 2, 2014 | Marketing

Communication Skills For Real EstateIn any profession that involves interacting with people, it is important to have sufficient communication skills. Advice on improving your interpersonal and communication skills for real estate agents is especially important because so much of the work that real estate agents do involves communicating with other people. From finding new real estate leads to surveying the needs of existing clients, communication is key to success as a realtor. Be sure to work on tactics for improving your interpersonal and communication skills so that you can better apply these skills in your efforts to grow your business.

Think About Speech Patterns

Everyone has a slightly different way of talking depending on where they are from and what their personality is like. However, there are certain things that can be done to help you speak more effectively to your real estate clients. Be sure that you enunciate your words properly and try not to speak too fast. Listening to yourself speak will also help you understand where you need to make improvements in the way that you talk. A popular communication tactic is to mirror the other person. If they talk fast, you talk fast. If they move their hands while they talk, you move your hands while you talk. This generally gets people to be more comfortable with you, weather they realize it or not.

Listen Properly

Many people place excessive emphasis on what they say or do when communicating, which causes them to neglect what others say.  If you can actively listen and show an interest in what someone else is saying, you will make a good impression. A great tip for active listening is to take in what someone says and then add your own thought or opinion to it, which will help you build rapport by listening to what others say and turning it into a full conversation. Ask open ended questions and then listen carefully to what they are saying and how they are saying it. By asking open ended questions, you can discover what the person really wants or what they are really upset about. Sometimes, they don’t even know until you ask.

Remember Your Body Language

Countless studies and communications experts have touted the importance of nonverbal communication during professional interactions. Yahoo! Finance reports that only 7% of our communication involves words. The other 93% of communication comes from eye contact, facial gestures, and the pitch and tone of voice. Always be conscious of what your body is doing when you are communicating with other people. Try to keep good posture and eliminate nervous tics like wringing your hands or swaying from side to side. Also remember to smile: WebMD says that smiling tells people that you are an outgoing, intelligent person open to communication.

Uncover And Then Solve Problems

Many aspects of improving your interpersonal and communication skills revolve around helping clients. Every time you speak with a prospect or an existing client, your goal should be to find their pain points and then come up with a way to help them solve these challenges. Think of yourself as a detective; through poignant questioning and attentive listening, you will be able to get more details about your clients and better serve their real estate needs.

Improving your interpersonal and communication skills is something that not every real estate agent thinks about. Even the best realtors who have a strong set of communication skills will go back and work on improving their interpersonal abilities from time to time. Investing in your communication skills will help you find more clients and better satisfy their real estate needs once they begin working with you.

« »
homevalueleads

Home Value Leads offers optimized lead generation for real estate agents using lead capture websites to grow home listing pipelines. We continually test all aspects of our lead websites to ensure high conversion rates at the lowest cost per lead. New features are added regularly to enhance the experience of potential sellers and listing agents.