Are you just another agent or do you stand out from the crowd? Too many agents blend in with all of the other agents in their area, giving people very little reason to choose them over someone else. What makes you stand out? What makes people remember you, your name, and makes them call YOU when it is time to buy or sell a home? How many times have you heard, “Oh, we just bought a home. I don’t know why I didn’t think about calling you. Sorry!” Being memorable is important for any real estate agent — people won’t call you if they don’t even remember you exist.
Here are 5 ways that real estate agents can be memorable and stand out from the rest:
1. Ask a lot of questions. This may sound strange but asking a lot of questions can actually make you much more likely to be remembered by others. People love to talk about themselves, and they’re likely to remember someone who asks thoughtful, interesting questions because it makes them feel like you care about them. Remember, these are questions about them, not about real estate. And don’t talk about yourself unless they ask, but quickly turn the conversation back to them instead of rattling off about yourself.
2. Identify a common interest. By asking a lot of questions, you may find that you have something in common with the person. The quickest and easiest way to get someone to like you is to find a commonality you share with them – a love of dogs, a past career, or perhaps a particular charity or social group. People will be able to relate to you and feel like they can trust you if you share a bond. And if they like you and trust you, they’ll remember you.
3. Be interesting. When someone asks, “What do you do?,” you need a better answer than “I’m a real estate agent” or “I help people realize the American Dream of home ownership.” Find a way to get them curious and want to know more. It’s a lot more interesting and memorable to say “I help people build their net worth” or “I’m a consultant for some of the smartest people in town.”
4. Develop your own style. This may or may not be the same thing as developing a brand, but your signature style can certainly be a part of your brand. Some agents are known because they wear shorts and flip-flops, others because of their amazing use of technology. Don’t just adapt a style because you think your clients will like it; You have to really embrace it because it will become a part of your every day activities. People can tell if you are not being genuine or you are uncomfortable and you will loose their trust and their business.
5. Find a reason to reach out to them. It’s hard to remember anyone that you’ve just met, especially if it was brief. Find a way to rekindle the conversation. You should have learned about what they do, what they like, and a common interest by asking questions. Use that information to reach out to them with something that would interest them. Avoid following up with real estate information unless they expressed an interest in getting that information. Instead, make it about them – an article about their favorite sports team or a silly photo of a dog. The more they interact with you, the more likely they are to remember you at the next event – or when it comes time to buy or sell their home.
Making an impression on someone is good, but making a lasting impression is even more important. The more lasting the impression, the more likely they will be to give you a call when they need your services. How do you stand out from the crowd or make an impression on people? Please comment below!