At one time or another, all of us have failed. Failure is a part of life. It’s a part of winning. That doesn’t make failing easy. For real estate agents, failure can be one of the worst possible things because it often comes after the end of a long process.
As the CEO of their own companies, real estate agents must learn how to deal with failure. The buck truly stops with the real estate agent.
How to Deal with Failure
We’ve listed five ways that real estate agents like yourself can deal with failure. It’s going to happen. It always does. Being prepared for it, can help take the sting away.
- Get good at saying, “Oh, well” – Shrugging and saying oh well can really help you get over your real estate failures. In fact, it could be the best way for you to get over any real estate failures. The reason is because as a real estate agent, you must always think about what might come next.
- Meditate – Meditation puts you into a state of mind that settles on the present. That’s it. By settling on the present, you won’t remain attached to your failures. That helps you get over your failures. Learn to meditate and do it a couple of times a day.
- Remember your CEO real estate agent goals – Chief Executive Officers don’t have the luxury of dwelling on failures. They run massive companies that require them to move on as quickly as possible.
Since you are a real estate agent CEO, you must move on as quickly as possible. Don’t dwell on the what ifs. The biggest reason why is because it just doesn’t matter.
- Realize that you can’t go back in the past – Meditation will help you remember that you can’t go back in the past. This is part of the what ifs we discussed above. It’s also about hoping for something that’s not possible.
- Truly believe that every failure brings a lesson – This should be obvious. Don’t dwell on your failures, tell yourself, “oh well” and move on, but you must truly believe that every failure brings a lesson. It’s important that you not just say it, you believe it.
If the above five ways to deal with failure sound sort of general, there’s a reason why…failure happens to everyone! Dealing with failure is the same for every business person out there. You are a business person. You bring buyers and sellers together to, often but not always, purchase and sell homes. That’s your job.
One thing we didn’t add to the list, but is almost equally as important, is that you should understand that 99.9% of the time, you failed at something because of something other than you.
What we mean by that is often as real estate agents we take failure personally. But, we failed because of outside things that we had no control over. If you understand that, you’ll be on your way to dealing with failure.