Success in the real estate business depends on leads and lead referrals from your fellow agents. The generosity that you put forth as an agent is an area where you should focus your effort and energy but that most agents forget. In order to become the most referred professional in your community, you must become the most generous professional in your community.
Keep in mind, this type of generosity is not the reactive kind, it’s more proactive. It’s the type of generosity that you bestow on others as a response to his or her need for help. Here are the steps to take toward becoming a more generous agent and seeing more real estate leads!
1. Be Professionally Attractive – Surprise a fellow agent by being “professionally attractive”. When you’re ahead of the game and anticipate someone’s need before they event bring it to your attention, then you will be attractive to others from the start. You want to give massive value first. This could first and foremost mean giving out referrals first in order to help others. You can bet that they will reciprocate by giving you referrals back! It will not only look good professionally but also help someone achieve their goals. It’s a good feeling and good karma to keep putting goodness in others’ buckets. Takeaway: Generosity leads to reciprocity.
2. Be an Appreciative Receiver – An attitude of gratitude can go a long way, and the best way to show it is to welcome lead referrals that come your way. It’s your time to get back what you put into your real estate community. It’s important to have a system where you handle referrals so that you remember who gave you referrals and for thanking them when it all goes well. You will likely start to train others that the best way to thank you is to give referrals. So, when someone asks how they can help you, your answer should always be “referrals.”
3. Referrals – A good goal to have is for every 10 referrals you give out each week, you receive back five. This 2-to-1 ratio will give you a pretty good return on your investment for your time and effort while ensuring that you have a steady flow of referrals coming back to you (since it could take some time for your friends to return the favor).
4. Profitability – Referrals cost you absolutely nothing and will give back to you what you put into it. So in order to make your real estate business the most profitable it can be, pour a little bit more of your efforts into referrals.
5. Prosperity – Prosperity can mean many things: money, time, freedom and choice. So the more profitable you become, the more prosperous you can be.
6. Higher Generosity – The more prosperous you become the more generous you become – and the cycle begins again at an even higher level.
You can feel good knowing that your coming from a generous place in your real estate business will make a difference every day. Like in most things in life, taking a genuine interest in others by helping them will make you more interesting and attractive as a business professional.